Perhaps it sounds incredible, but the number of the microorganisms (microflora) that inhabit the bottom of our digestive system are essential to our health. In particular, they influence the ability of our digestive system for absorbing better nutrients. Development and metabolism of many bacterial species inhabiting the colon depends on the availability of suitable substances for their development, most of which come from food.
More and more people pay attention to the possibility to be in good physical shape by eating relatively affordable and inexpensive dietary supplements – probiotics, prebiotics and synbiotics.
Probiotics are live good bacteria or food supplements. Most famous are the lactic acid bacteria and bifidobacteria used in the production of yogurt and other dairy foods.
These organisms are not pathogenic and non-toxic, they keep their viability during storage, and survive passage through the stomach and small intestine.
Probiotics can be used for the prevention of diarrhea, and improving symptoms of lactose intolerance.
Acidophilus is a bacteria that is a friend of the human body. Along with bifidus are both beneficial bacteria that enhance the vitality and should make up 98% of the intestinal flora of the healthy people. They are called “probiotics” – from the Greek words for “for” and “life.” Served in the form of capsules, probiotics successfully overcome the difficult journey through the aggressive environment of the stomach.
Acidophilus is found in some fermented dairy products and food supplements. When are taken in adequate amounts, they improve the ecology of the intestines.
- prevents development of disease-causing microbes on the intestinal wall;
- maintaining an alkaline environment of 7.5 to 8.3 pH, which encourages the development of good bacteria;
- improves the oxygen content of the body;
- produces bactericidal substances (hydrogen peroxide, lactic acid and acetic acid, etc.);
- produces enzymes, including galaktaza necessary for the absorption of milk sugar – that can help people with milk intolerance, especially infants;
- protects the intestines, urinary tract and reproductive system of bacterial and fungal infections;
- reduces diarrhea after exposure to radiation or chemotherapy;
- reduces the level of harmful cholesterol;
- assists peristalsis;
- reduces decay in the gut;
- reduces the duration of diarrheal rotavirus;
- improves digestion, absorption of substances and increases the resistance against allergens;
- helps the body to recognize and absorption of vitamin B12;
- acts on regulating cholesterol metabolism;
- promotes clearing of the intestine and reducing the formation of carcinogenic substances and toxins;
- balances estrogen, which may be useful in hormonal disorders;
- restores the integrity of the destroyed colony after antibiotics, chemotherapy or radiotherapy;
The important thing about this strain is that it has to be taken in the morning at least a half hour before eating! Acidophilus let you stand next to a toothbrush – eat it before you start with your morning toilet! You can understand why – the bacteria need time to go to the right place and settle in the small intestine and upper respiratory tract!
Lactobacillus bifidus is another beneficial and friendly bacteria. It inhabits the colon and protect it from pathogens not only physically but also biochemically. Probiotic colonies of bifidus are our very active helpers against pathogenic microorganisms. Like other probiotics they increase immunity, heal intestinal mucosa, improve gastrointestinal comfort. Their expansion depends on the ecology of the gut and the functioning of the digestive system, hence the purity of the blood, liver health and effectiveness of the immune system, skin condition, hair, nails … and, ultimately, the health of the whole body!
The existence of this good bacteria helps absorption of quality proteins and fats, as well as retention of minerals such as phosphorus, calcium and iron. These colonies reduce the allergic reactions to milk and remove constipation. They are involved in the breakdown of some carcinogenic substances that reduce the level of harmful cholesterol, produce hormones and vitamins B and K.
Bifidus bacteria have an extremely important role in the early years of human life – not coincidentally it is contained in breast milk. There the Bifidus bacteria assist the absorption of protein, calcium, iron and other minerals and vitamins, which support growth and immunity of the children.
It turns out that the colony of Bifidus bacteria among infants is quite unstable and may decrease if the child is ill, adapt to the new environment suffers from the absence of a parent or grow in unsuitable conditions.
Like all other bacteria and the bifidobacteria are divided into separate subspecies. It was found that each subtype has its own role and influence a specific process in our body.
Scientists from the University of Manchester found that to improve the “irritable bowel syndrome” (IBS) the best effect have, for example, bifidus Infantis and bifidus Breve. The relationship between affecting the atopic dermatitis by taking Bifidus Pseudocatenulatum, was established by Japanese scientists. In breastfed babies naturally dominates the number of Bifidus Bifidum. Among babies fed with formula, there are more from the colony Bifidus Pseudocatenulatum. Children consuming such bacteria are less prone to some diseases.
The important thing for this type of bacteria is that it must be taken before bedtime! Take it long after you have finished eating and when going to bed!
Its beneficial effect and creating barriers to pathogens and fungi is recommended for:
– Infants with colic and sensitive digestion;
– Need to strengthen the beneficial flora in the colon and reduce intoxication by adults and children;
– People treated with antibiotics, steroids, on chemotherapy or radiotherapy;
– When is established bacterial infection, candida or parasites;
– Experienced stress;
– Usage of cigarettes and alcohol;
– After use of contraceptives;
– When there is a deficit of calcium, iron;
– Use of chlorinated or fluoridated water;
– Regular consumption of sugary foods, especially in combination with fat;
- Improve digestibility of dairy and other proteins. This is important if we want to achieve significant muscle growth after intense workouts in the gym.
- Stimulate the absorption of lactose in people who are unable to digest.
- Help the digestion and prevent the multiplication of “bad” pathogenic microorganisms in the digestive system.
- Inhibit decay processes in the stomach and intestines.
- Prevent the lack of vitamin B
- Maintain body health during the intake of antibiotics and other chemicals.
- Restore normal intestinal microflora damaged by taking antibiotics.
- Prevent and treat diarrhea, including infectious.
- Reduce the risk of diseases of the stomach.
- Restrict the occurrence of vaginal yeast infections, infections of the urethra and cystitis.
- Stimulate an immune system. Studies show that eating yogurt that contains specific Lactobacillus or supplements with Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium may stimulate normal immune system.
- Help treatment of respiratory infections such as sinusitis, bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Reduce the risk of allergies – asthma, food allergies and skin reactions such as eczema.
- Contribute to lowering levels of “bad” cholesterol.
- Reducing the risk of tumors of the bladder and colon.
- freeze-dried powders that are recommended to use them dissolved in water and taken on an empty stomach. Cold water activates bacteria. Powdered probiotics began acting in the mouth before it goes down in the digestive system.
- Capsules containing certain species are preferred over powders because they dissolve in a specified location.
- Liquids – contain the most inappropriate form of bacterial supplements. They are suitable for 2 weeks after their production. They provide very little useful effect.
When the digestive tract becomes inflamed due to disease, infection or irritation of alcohol, pain killers or antibiotics, it becomes abnormally penetrable, which is a major cause for the development of food allergies and problems with detoxification. All this can lead to other inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
The most proven benefit of probiotics is against diarrhea, especially if it is caused by bacterial infections. It was also found that probiotics help to reduce inflammatory reactions in food allergy by reducing the negative effects in the intestines to allergenic foods.