This is actually a kind of a silly question, because vitamins and minerals are basically responsible for all your internal processes and you are as healthy as your diet is. There are virtually hundreds of processes that these nutrients are responsible and while there are tons and tons of supplements to choose from, the best way to get your daily fill of vitamins and minerals still remains a balanced diet.People forget that your body renews itself every day and you constantly grow new muscle and bone mass, as well as sustaining a lot of chemical and biological processes so you will need a lot of support in order to be able to successfully go through all that. People are also unaware of the benefits that these nutrients provide your body with. Among these, the most crucial ones are: providing bone and muscle material, help in healing your wounds faster, improve your immune system, restore your body at a cellular level and provide you with energy throughout the day
The common name for vitamins and minerals is micronutrients and, despite their name, their role is rather crucial. For start, let’s break down the difference between vitamins and minerals. Vitamins are organic in nature and can be altered through heat, acids and other similar factors, while minerals are inorganic and retain their chemical structure regardless of the influences.Now let’s separate the differences between the various types of vitamins. There are essentially 2 major types of vitamins: water-soluble vitamins and fat-soluble ones.
Water-soluble vitamins – The main thing about these types of vitamins is that they are easily found in the aliments containing more water and they are easily absorbable in your body. This is where your kidneys come in, because they are the ones regulating the amount of vitamins that you need and expel the ones you don’t need through your urine. Their role is the key to our survival because they will release the energy contained in the food you eat. Other important roles are:
- Energy releasing – it is a role that is mainly accomplished by the B vitamins
- Producing energy – several B vitamins are responsible with producing and sustaining the levels of energy in your body
- Help building proteins and cells – B6, B12 and folic acid are the ones responsible with aminoacids metabolize processes, as well as assisting your cell multiplication.
- Support the collagen production – this is something that vitamin C is responsible with and it is an essential process for your wellbeing. Your collagen production can assist you in forming better and stronger teeth and bones as well as supporting your blood vessel health.
A good thing about water-soluble vitamins is that they can resist in your body for several years even, without the need to get them constantly. However, it is better to have your supply renewed.
These vitamins are harder to assimilate by your organism and they usually enter your blood stream through the lymph channels found in your intestinal wall. They are carried by proteins in your body and the process is quite simple actually:
- Fat-soluble vitamins are ingested – the food is broke down into elemental nutrients, which will be absorbed by your bile that will flow in your small intestine and deliver the precious nutrients there – the vitamins are taken by the lymph vessels and enter your blood stream – they will rush through your body, while the excess gets stored in your liver and your tissues as fat – these reserves will be later accessed by your body and the whole process will start all over again in times of need.
The role of the fat-soluble vitamins is that they are the main reserves of energy that you body can use whenever necessary. Due to the fact that they hold inside your organism for longer periods of time and get released in times of need makes them priceless assets to have. Fat-soluble vitamins have a lot of benefits because they can provide you assistance in maintaining the health in your eyes, lungs, gastrointestinal tract, nervous system and skin. Also, they can also work as repairing tools for those areas as well. Aside from these ones, there are also other benefits that you should take into consideration, such as:
- Protects and improves your vision – Vitamin A is responsible for this effect and it will also help you with cell healthy
- Protects your body – It is a vitamin’s E asset which acts as an antioxidant
- Helps improving your bone structure – it is what vitamins A, D and K will give you and your bone structure development will be virtually impossible without these vitamins.
Now there is a thing that you should know about fat-soluble vitamins and that is the fact that they can easily build up to toxic levels especially since they are being retained in your body for longer periods of time. This is why you will rarely need supplements.
Aside from vitamins, your body also needs a fair amount of minerals and there are a lot of them that you should keep track of. That is because every one of them is responsible with different things. Here are the most essential minerals that your body needs on a daily basis: magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, sulfur, chloride.
Now if you wonder what minerals actually do in your body, the answer is that one of their major roles is to keep a balance of the water levels that your organisms need to perform the usual tasks. Aside from this, minerals are also responsible for the health of your bones, stabilizing your protein structure and improving the health of your skin, nails and hair.
While these are not as important as the rest of the minerals, they are still pretty valuable nonetheless. Some of the most noticeable ones are: copper, chromium, fluoride, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium, molybdenum, zinc. Each of these trace minerals are more or less necessary to improve your health and among their most known benefits we need to mention: easing the oxygen transportation throughout the body, improve the immune system, strengthen bone structure which will improve the health of your bones, teeth and hair, supports your taste and smell becoming more accurate and efficient.
All in all, both vitamins and minerals are essential for the internal processes in your body and they are the only way towards a healthier lifestyle.